Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Talk About Tuesday - New Nativity



When I was growing up, my mom had a Nativity that I really liked. All the pieces were made of felt and Styrofoam, so it was light and easy for me to handle (and Mom didn't care if I played with it). When she started getting the Christmas decorations out, she would set the Nativity pieces out on a low table covered in a white sheet...all except for the Baby Jesus. He would always be hidden away somewhere close by.

My mom sang in the church choir, so we usually went to the Midnight Mass because that's when the choir sang. At one point in the service, they would always turn off the lights and everyone in the church would have a lit candle. It was beautiful. Once the service was over, we would head home to get ready for bed. But since it was after midnight (and therefore Christmas Day), it would be my job to go get the Baby Jesus and put him in the manger.

Last year for Christmas, my mom gave me a box of fabric. Being that I don't sew AT ALL I was really confused. She explained that she was going to make me a Nativity just like hers, but she didn't have time to get it done. The fabric was what she was going to use to make it, so I needed to give it back to her. So I did, and then quickly forgot about it.

Last week, my mom shows up at my house with a box. I asked her what it was and she said it was my Christmas gift from last year. I had no idea what she was talking about so when I opened it, I was really surprised to see the Nativity she had made...and it looked exactly like the one I played with when I was growing up.

After she had gone, I found a low table and covered it with a blanket. I put it near the tree and set up all the pieces...except for the Baby Jesus. That'll be Jake & Emma's job come Christmas Eve.



Here's a picture of the complete set. That Baby Jesus is there purely for the picture. He is currently tucked away in a hiding spot, waiting for Jake and Emma to put him to bed on Christmas Eve. There are 3 Wise Men, 1 Shepherd (complete with white lamb tucked under his arm,) Mary, Joseph (and his pipe cleaner staff), and of course the manger and Jesus. The whole things weighs about a pound since it's all felt, Styrofoam, and pantyhose to cover the heads. The straw in the manger is just yarn glued to a piece of cardboard.


And here's a closeup of Baby Jesus!

Visit The Lazy Organizer for more Talk About Tuesday

11 reviews:

Anonymous said...

what a great post. such a great idea too!

Mrs. O said...

What a sweet tradition. (what a sweet mom)

Family O'Foxes said...

Oh my gosh, that is totally the sweetest Nativity scene I've seen in a long time. What a great mom you have to do that for you as a child and as an adult. :)

Years ago I got my kids I got my kids- http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-4657550-0946527?ASIN=B00005BRFR&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B00005BRFR|Playmobil_Nativity_Set&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B00005BRFR&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

Playmobile nativity set so they could play to their hearts content. They love playing with all the pieces.

I agree with your mom-> to help make Christmas real for kids it is important to let them touch and play with some of the decorations. :)
~Amy

Montserrat said...

Now that is so sweet! And knowing that your mother didn't forget and took the time to make it...that's a treasure.

Christine said...

Love that! Yay Mom!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

This is great! I've never seen one quite like it before. How cute.

Merry Christmas.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

That is the most adorable thing I've ever seen! I'm a sucker for Nativity sets. I have a lot. One was a paper, cut and glue set. The kids played with that one and a terra cotta one. Love those childhood memories! :-) Have a blessed Christmas.

carrie said...

That's awesome!!!!!!!!

Lara said...

How cute! I still don't have a nativity for my kids. Am I a terrible Mother? I've just never seen one I wanted to buy and no one has ever given me one. Hello, Mom?

Gumby said...

beautiful set! and it is so cool to read about the tradition being passed on!

Karen said...

That's a really sweet set. I love that it's "kid proof." We have a kid proof one too and my kids just love playing with it this time of year.