Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Who's that girl?

Have you ever heard a song on the radio that took you back to a time in your life that you never really think about until you hear the song?

I've got one. And those who know me (and even those who don't) might find it a strange choice for a song that conjures up good memories. It's Closer by Nine Inch Nails. I never really liked the lyrics, but the song was good to dance to at the "club" I used to go to a long, LONG time ago. I use the term "club" loosely because this wasn't your typical college campus, meat market, everybody knows about it type of place. To say this place was on the fringe would be putting it mildly.

If there was any color other than black that was worn in the place, it would be the electric blue of the lint that showed up on your black shirt as you walked under the black light at the door. Things were displayed at the bar that make me blush just thinking about it (hot candle wax anyone?), but I really liked the music. It was music you could dance to without the implication that you were only there to find a date. It was just a place to go and hang it with your friends...who were all dressed in black and laid claim to several different body piercings.

But anyway, one of the songs that was played quite regularly was Closer, and it makes me smile and start to dance in my seat a little bit whenever I hear it on the radio. It just brings back this feeling of youthfulness...memories of a time when being home by 1am was early and the only person you had to worry about was yourself and where you parked the car.

On Monday, Dave and I had a parent/teacher conference at Jake's preschool and one of the things we discussed with them were the pros and cons of all day Kindergarten. We decided we needed to visit the classroom before registration in March so we can weigh the full-day curriculum against the half-day's program. We then went out to lunch where we finalized our travel plans for Christmas so that we could make a stop in Indianapolis to visit the children's museum there. And on the way to pick up the kids from the bad spellers is when I heard Closer.

How can these two lives both belong to me????

2 reviews:

tammi said...

My two lives -- I love it! I guess we all have two, to an extent. Funny how motherhood and whatnot puts one life on the backburner.

Our oldest daughter is in Kindergarten this year and they go all day, every other day. (works better for the parents with busing schedules!) She loves it and I thought she'd be worn out after a day at school, but that doesn't seem to have happened! She still goes strong all evening long!

carrie said...

Oh yeah...I hear ya...I wore my Nirvana tshirt with all the holes in it a few days ago with my bondage pants as I was headed to the grocery store for cough medicine...