Friday, March 23, 2007

The hills are alive

So, I've had this iPod shuffle sitting on my desk for forever and a day. I don't remember where we got it, but Dave got 2 free at the same time. Within 48 hours his was formatted and loaded with music. Mine, however sat. And sat. And sat. So finally (after realizing that I was actually DUSTING it), I got it all set up and downloaded the few albums I already had digitized on my computer. And the stangest thing happened.

Have you ever had a friend that you lost touch with? Things happened, life went on, and one day you realized that it had been FOREVER since you even thought about the person. So you decide to get in touch with them and you make plans to meet. When you do, it's the excitement of getting to know them again but at the same time you are already completely comfortable because you have history? Well, that's what it was like listening to this music.

Lately, all I've been listening to is the current stuff on the radio or the kids' music. It's been awhile since I've gotten into my personal CD stash, but I'm so glad I did. It reminded me that once I was a person that existed outside of motherhood. That it's O.K. to sing at the top of my lungs to something other than The Little People. That Marvin Gaye, KC and the Sunshine Band, and Phil Collins can make or break a mood. I mean, the iPod is just a glorified Mixed Tape, right? And that there are some songs that just make me HAPPY. And I mean the kind of Happy that makes you giggle. And the kind of Happy that makes you cry. And the kind of Happy that makes you scream like a little girl when you remember you say him LIVE!

And the kind of Happy that gives you that feeling in the pit of your stomach that you've been missing out on something, but that's O.K. because all you need is right here.

5 reviews:

Zany Mama said...

The iPod is a glorified mix tape - you are so right on that!

Also, I have now tagged you for a meme. Do with the tag what you will.

Faerylandmom said...

I feel the same way about music...I find myself turning to the same "comfort albums" over and over again, despite all the really great new stuff that's come out. It's kind of like a grilled cheese sandwich on a rainy day, or bare feet in cool grass in spring. I have yet to get an ipod though...

Faerylandmom said...

Oh...by the way...I was pointed this direction from "I should be folding laundry."

Christine said...

I have those kind of songs- Simon and Garfunkel, Eagles, America- and they make me feel like me. I don't have an iPod, though. I know, I'm lame.

Beth said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I love taking road trips by myself, pop in the old cds and SING the WHOLE WAY!