Monday, September 10, 2007

In the minority

I live in a college town. A very BIG college town. A slightly INSANE college town.

And it's Football Season. Which means all sense of normalcy flies right out the window.

To be quite honest, I don't get it. I can understand wanting to support the home team, but seriously it's like there is something in the water around here. Normally quiet people start painting their faces. All sorts of new fashion statements are made and a new breed of sweaters with 3-dimensional adornments are born. They even have a song on the radio that mixes the school band playing various songs with Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl.

You know, cause that just makes sense.

My favorite is when we make fun of other school's mascots. I hate to break it to ya, but our mascot is a tree nut. We don't have a lot of room to talk.

Quite often this time of year, we are invited over to friend's houses to watch the game and have a party. And sometimes I even watch part of the game. But really I'm just there to see my friends, to hang out and have a good time. And my friends know that I don't get as rabid excited as they do, but I think deep down they are still a little bit surprised that I don't even own a school t-shirt. I mean, I was born and raised in this town. It seems only natural that I be infected be inflicted support the local team.

Which I do. I want them to win as much as the next guy. O.K. Maybe not quite as much as the next guy, but still. I just tend to be a little more relaxed about it if they lose. I don't cry or fight or set trash cans on fire.

You know, cause that just makes sense

4 reviews:

tammi said...

So THAT's what a Buckeye looks like! I do love football, but here in Canada, it's not nearly the cult it is in the States. I've always thought it'd be cool to live in a football town during the season, just to see if it's really like movies and TV shows like Friday Night Lights.

Go Buckeyes!!

Christine said...

Oh, I'm with ya there! Only I sometimes root for the other team.

Cause, ya know, that just makes sense...

To me anyway...

Gumby said...

Oh! He's a tree nut? I thought he was a walking testicle!

You want to know how to truly enjoy football Saturdays? Come over some time for a Towing Party. We sit on our porch and watch all of the Dublin SUVs get towed from our permit parking street. It really is quite fun.

cynderloowho said...

My favorite part of the football season is when people give a look like you are from another planet because I don't care who wins and I don't like football. I never did understand why the whole town has to come to a screeching halt because it's Football Saturday.