Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - Scrapbooking

When this whole scrapbooking fad first swept the nation, I laughed at the notion of spending time with all that "frilly" stuff and gasped at the idea of CUTTING my pictures.

Then I got invited to a scrapbooking party for Creative Memories. Yeah. I was hooked. I now spend on average about 20-30 minutes a day scrapbooking. I love it. And here's why.



  1. Creative Outlet - Now that I can't do as much theatre as I did before the kids came along, this is a good creative outlet for me. I've never been very good at art and I do better with crafts that come with a set of directions, and I can get that a lot of times when I'm scrapping. It has also really increased my desire to learn more about photography.

  2. "Frilly" stuff - Fine, I'll admit it. I like the products. Just today I spent over an hour at the craft store trying to find the "perfect" embellishments for a new album I started. Good thing I brought a snack for Emma.

  3. Scraplifting - Like I said, I like directions. And stealing being inspired by someone else's design takes a lot of the pressure. What do they say? Imitation is the highest form of flattery, or something like that.

  4. Pay attention to the little things - I look at things differently now. I am starting to pay more attention to how the kids look when they make certain expressions, or noticing the way a leaf is hanging on a tree. It's really helped me appreciate the little things.

  5. Just for me - I scrapbook very early in the morning (and I'm not a morning person) so I consider it my time. Jake will join me occasionally if I'm really close to finishing a layout and don't want to stop. I keep a stash of paper and stickers on hand and he goes to town. But for the most part, it's my quiet way of starting the day.

  6. Accomplishment - It really is satisfying to finish a layout. I like knowing that's one more page on my way to a completed album. I had a goal to finish 1 layout a week for the whole year (52 total layouts) and I have a check list in my scrapbooking space that I get to check off when I get one done. I love lists so that is really quite satisfying for me.

  7. Gifts - It's a nice way for me to remember to send pictures to Grandma and Grandpa who live out of town. They only get to see the kids 2 or 3 times a year, so I make a scrapbook calendar for them. Every month, they get a new layout with current pictures of the kids. I think they really like it.

  8. Magazines - This one is silly, but I love magazines and there are so many scrapbooking mags out there. I don't subscribe to any, but I have asked for a subscription for the last 2 years for Christmas. No dice.

  9. Reactions - There is no better payoff then seeing Jake sit down with one of the completed albums. He loves looking at them!!

  10. Challenging - If I don't scraplift, sometimes it can be really hard to come up with a design. When that happens, scrapbooking keeps my mind working. I figure it was good if that happened every once in a while.

  11. Passing it down - I'd really like to create an album about myself so that when they are older, Jake and Emma can learn more about me as a person instead of just thinking of me as their mom.

  12. Organizing - This is just one more thing I get to organize and containerize. I LOVE IT! I love labeling my pictures as soon as they get back from the printer with the date and event. And then sorting them into whether they are for scrapbooking or non-scrapbooking. And then putting them away. It sounds crazy, but I love that part.

  13. IT'S FUN! - And this is probably the most important reason why I do it. And it needs no further explanation!

Visit other Thursday Thirteen lists!

11 reviews:

Happy Mama to Three said...

Scrapbooking supplies are stay-at-home Mama crack. I swear. Welcome to TT. I see you haven't been in the family very long. Can't wait to read more.

Cindi

Anonymous said...

I love Cindi's comment!! I am *addicted* to buying scrapbook supplies. Not so much to actually scrapbooking right now but still buying the supplies. I did an ABC album for my boys and they love to look thru them and show them off to people.

Arielle said...

I agree with all of it. I love scrapcrack. Great TT!
http://soccermom5982.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I've always been envious of scrapbookers. I've puttered a little with digital scrapbooking and even played with my moms vast paper craft supplies. But I just don't have an ounce of creativity. Unless it's a craft with a pattern or directions I'm outta luck.

Great TT!
http://blog.vigilant20.net/?p=1313

Unknown said...

This is a really good list. You really did a good job of verbalizing a lot of the reasons so many (myself included), like scrapbooking so much. Although I'm not naturally organized, I really, really see the long term advantages of journaled photo albums for posterity, plus it is sooo fun to make them look neat!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Happy TT!

I got started with CM, too -- years ago. (I think 2001) I still love it and I've gotten both kids doing it, too.

I've found I take pictures differently now, too, because of scrapping. It's pretty wild.

Christine said...

Wasn't it my party you came to?? So I got you hooked on both scrapbooking and blogging? Wow, cool...

:)

Anonymous said...

See, now your list makes me want to give it another go, but TIME!!! LOL!

penguinsandladybugs said...

I love scrapbooking, but I've gotten so behind. But next weekend, I am going to a MegaCrop and we scrapbook for like 36 hours (unless we stop to sleep)...I am so excited!! Thanks for stopping by my blog for WW TT, I can't wait to see your list!!

Bloggers said...

Great post. I love to scrapbook also, although I have not done it since we moved 2 months ago. I need to scrap about the move and everything.

my 13 is up on
http://momworksathome.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch for stopping by my list. Sorry I'm making rounds a bit late.

I used to scrapbook before my kids were born (and before blogging). Now, I guess I'll pick it back up later (when they're grown).