Tuesday, October 30, 2007

TV Time

Dave was in a show over the weekend (he played one of the brothers in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat) and while he was gone for rehearsals over the last 4 weeks, I fell into a familiar trap...

Jake and Emma have been watching WAY too much TV. And I completely recognize that it's totally my fault.

I just got finished reading The Read Aloud Handbook and the last chapter talks about the role TV plays in kids development and school performance. It talks about a couple electronic devices you can buy to monitor and administer TV time. But I'd like to think that there's another solution.

How do all of you handle TV (or Screen) Time in your house? What suggestions and advice can you offer. I'm up for anything (well...almost anything) at this point!

4 reviews:

carrie said...

Honestly, we don't have cable, satelite, etc...all the kids can watch is movies and they only get to have a "movie day" once a week, (unlimited movies) the rest of the week they can watch MAYBE one movie...and if they go off to do something else they lose their time...we'll go days without it being on...and that's usually when I award them with a movie day...

tammi said...

I have the same problem, so I'll be checking back here to see what suggestions people leave!

Christine said...

When Zachary was into his colic, our kids watched more than usual (still only an hour to hour and a half a day) strictly for my own sanity.

So we (really I) proclaimed Sept. TV-detox month and they watched nothing except one movie in the middle of the month (Mary Poppins). Now we're back to one half hour a day and none on Friday. They don't really ask for it as much anymore and I don't suggest it! We do a lot more crafts, coloring, and messing up the house than if we were a TV-watching family!

Anonymous said...

I shut the TV off and tell them to either clean their rooms or play nicely.

It works very well.

And their rooms DO NOT get clean.