Monday, November 26, 2007

Silent Night

I have a confession to make. And it may make you hate me. But I have to get it off my chest and I refuse to feel ashamed for it...

I don't like Christmas music very much.

I like a good song every once in a while and there are definitely ones that make me cry every single time I hear them. Really, you haven't heard "O Holy Night" until you've heard Christine sing it in a candlelit church without a sound coming from the congregation. Gets me every time.

And I enjoy listening to A Charlie Brown Christmas (performed bye the wonderful Vince Guaraldi Trio) because I like the Vince Guaraldi Trio....not just because it's Christmas.

But to sit down and just have Christmas music playing in the background? It makes me want to get up and put in a different CD or change the radio station. We have one radio station in town that starts playing continuous Christmas favorites in mid-October. Or maybe it just feels that way, but they do play them for a REALLY long time.

I like to listen to music because I actually like the performer or band, not just because it's a certain season.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas....just not the "continuous Christmas favorites". So I am resigned to wait patiently until December 26th when the world returns to it's regularly scheduled programming.

Oh, and Bah Humbug.

8 reviews:

tammi said...

You and my husband think the same way. Today, for the first time, I loaded the CD player with Christmas CDs and there was a brief period of 'tension' in our home when I refused to turn it off. I'm not the type that can listen to it all day long (especially since more often than not, it has to compete with children screaming or the TV in order to be heard anyway and I can't stand all the noise), but around this time of year, I start wanting to feel festive every now and again. The decorations won't be coming out until this Saturday though!!

My biggest problem with radio stations that start playing Christmas music so early is that the selection seems to be very limited. Compared to the amount of non-seasonal music, there is only a very small number of Christmas songs and to hear them played over and over and over again, ad nauseum, is highly annoying.

Christine said...

Awww, shucks, thanks.

I am one of those listen-to-Christmas-music-on-the-radio-as-soon-as-Thanksgiving's-over kinda gals. I do not like their selection usually, however, and turn off the latest boy band or country star song in favor of the oldies!

Karen said...

I liked Christmas music when it was the oldies and goodies. A little Bing, A little Vince Guaraldi, a little Perry Como, a little Gene Autry...even a little Bruce Springsteen or Beach Boys is ok.

But my goodness, now anyone who can open their mouth thinks they can put out a Christmas CD. I'm so sick of 1000 different versions of Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire. (grin)

Twisted Cinderella said...

I love certain christmas songs. Mary Did you know just touches my soul.

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you on the Christmas music! My regular radio station plays Christmas music 24 hours a day starting the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas. So I am now stuck listening to CDs in the car because I would go crazy listening to Christmas music every time I am in my car.

Michelle said...

I love Christmas music, it makes me happy. My husband is the same as you and complains loudly when I try to put it on. Last year I found a solution, I found some Christmas music by his favorite bands. Tralala....we are both happy. Well, for awhile anyways. He will still complain if it's been on all day....

Gumby said...

Last week's issue of The Other Paper had a story all about the local radio station's Christmas Music war. They spend much time contemplating the start date with maximum income potential.

And isn't corporate greed what the birth of our Lord is all about?

cynderloowho said...

Let me tell you...if I hear the "Hawaiian Christmas Song" or whatever the hell it is called one more time at I am going to be wrapping a hanger around some customers neck. I can't even get the lyrics right and it makes me crazy. I love the Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown stuff because it tends to be melancholy...I think sometimes the season can be melancholy because we reflect. I do think though you might like the Mannheim Steamroller first Christmas CD...their version of "Silent Night" can make me cry...and of course it's melancholy.