Monday, May 21, 2007

Dadisms (or Should We Be Letting Him Read That??)



Dave got this book several years ago from his mom (I think) and it has become one of Jake's favorite, um, bathroom reads. It's one of those gift books that you would get from Hallmark or whatever and it features things a dad would say, but what he really means when he says them.

For example:

Dadism #4: "If you fall and break your leg, don't come running to me."
Translation: "Be careful up there. Our health insurance policy has a $200 deductible"


He doesn't really understand anything that he's reading (I think), and it's just too funny when you are walking down the hall and suddenly you hear one (or several) of the following come from a voice in the bathroom:

"What's so funny? Wipe that smile off your face"

"Because I said so, that's why."

"I never talked to my old man like that."

"Turn off those lights. Do you think I'm made of money?"



Everytime I hear it, I stop and think "Where on earth did he learn that??" and then I remember what he's doing. Maybe someday we'll take the book away, like if he ever learns what the stuff means or if it starts bleeding into everyday conversation, but for now, I'll just pass the room and chuckle.

I mean, really, who wouldn't laugh at a 4 year old giggling while reading
"It's only a little blood. Besides, chicks dig scars."

2 reviews:

Laura said...

Hey Thea, good news! Come on over and check it out!

Laura

Sue said...

That's histerical! I love hearing things from their little voices.