Saturday, May 12, 2007

Smart Habit Saturdays

Alrighty folks, I'm ready to jump right back in. And you know why? Because I have a wonderful husband. Last week I posted how my habit of 8k steps a day on the pedometer became an impossibility because my pedometer broke. While Dave got me this for Mother's Day and I LOVE IT!

It's actually an accelerometer instead of pedometer, but it counts my steps which is what I want. It is much more accurate (meaning it's less likely to count a good tackle from Jacob as a step) so I have a better idea of how much I am ACTUALLY walking a day.

I was SO happy about it, that I actually started marching in place today while I was clearing the dishwasher - anything to get those steps in. It's much more comfortable and has a lower profile than my old pedometer so I barely even notice that I am wearing it. Here are some of the best features:

  1. It has a clock on it so it automatically resets my steps to "0" every night at midnight. I start each day without having to do a thing except put it on.
  2. It has a 7 day memory so I can keep track of how much I walk each day. It also adds the steps up so I don't have to think or add or anything to find out my total steps for the week.
  3. Besides keeping track of the number of steps I takes, it keeps track of the distance that I've walked.
  4. It has an internal "stopwatch" that keeps track of the amount of time that I've been active (above a certain threshold) during the day; I've been wearing it for nearly 13 hours today, but it knows I've only logged about 43 minutes of true exertion.
  5. It has a website where I can log on and keep track of steps. It even has online challenges and keeps a running total of the number of steps I take. I am currently in a challenge to see how long it takes me to walk the number of steps equivalent to walking the Pacific Coast Highway (784 miles total, I've got 777.58 miles to go).

Anyway, it's just about the coolest thing I've ever owned I just hope it doesn't fall in the toilet (not that that's ever happened to me...). That would be bad, very bad. So my habit for this week will be to walk 8,000 steps a day (EVERY DAY!)

Check out Lara's site for other's habits!

Here are my other habits/goals for 2007:
8K a Day - game on
Wear my pedometer - game on
R-E-S-P-E-C-T - mostly a habit
Food Journal and Scrounging - working on
Increased personal reading time - habit
Limit personal computer time - working on
1 on 1 kids time - working on

5 reviews:

Michelle said...

That looks incredible!! What a great Mother's Day gift! Sounds like it's working very well. Good luck this week!

jenn said...

Yay! for wonderful gifts from loving husbands and yay! for habits that are good for you! good luck and have fun with you new toy this week! Happy Mother's Day :O)

Montserrat said...

I'm gonna have to get one of those! Very cool!

Rebecca said...

That sounds like a great gift. Good luck on your
habits, looks like you are doing great!

Peculiar Blogs said...

What a cool thing!!! Have a great week walking and Happy Mother's Day!