Monday, July 16, 2007

Show's over, folks!

The show I've been involved with for the last month or 2 closed on Saturday. While it was a great time, I'm kinda glad it's over. There's a kind of exhaustion that sets in when you are doing a show and it's only gotten worse the older I get and the more active the kids are.

Granted, half the exhaustion comes from staying out until 1am drinking and eating fried cheese products, but still...

The show was really well received by all who saw it. It was different than any show I've ever been involved in. The rehearsal process was pretty much me and the director sitting across a table from each other for the first 2 or 3 weeks. Then 2 weeks before the show, I rehearsed with the rest of the cast for the first time. The format of the show lent itself to a lot of down time (while on stage) for each actor so I got to rehearse my "stage freeze"... a lot. By the 2nd weekend, I was limping off stage at intermission and after the show because some portion of my legs are feet had fallen asleep.

The character I played was a 30-something year old girl with a mental disability that put her emotional level at about a 10 year old. Her name was Dori, she loved Barbie, she made wallets, and she wore all pink, all the time. Definitely different than anything I've ever played before. She had her funny moments, but mostly it was great to listen to her story, because in her mind, there was nothing wrong with her. She was constantly teased by her sister (not an actual character of the show, only through the stories Dori told), and in Dori's mind, her sister was the one who was "mental". It was great to see such a character being the "norm" as opposed to the exception.

I'm itching to do another show now, but when we started having kids we would take turns doing shows. So now, it's Dave's turn. There are a lot of great opportunities out there in the coming months, so hopefully he'll be able to juggle his crazy travel schedule enough to do a show.

'Cause then it'll be my turn again.

I'm kidding! Sort of...

1 reviews:

Zany Mama said...

To my favorite thespian-
(and just because you happen to be the only thespian I know, please don't take this as less than the compliment I meant it to be)

You were fabulous in show. You cracked me up a lot, and you played the character beautifully. Your Dori was not at all what I would have expected from the description in the program, she was 10x better.

(As an aside, let's just pretend that I never said these nice things to you, okay? I had to do it since you were so awesome in the play, but I don't really respect myself right now.)