Saturday, April 7, 2007

Smart Habit Saturdays


O.K. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I'm a lifetime member of Weight Watchers. I have been doing WW on and off since before Jake was born (they don't let you be an active member when you are pregnant) so going on 5 years now. I would lose the weight, gain a little bit back, lose it again and so on and so forth.

Well I finally hit my goal weight and became a lifetime member at the beginning of 2007. But I am by no means "in the clear".

For those who don't know, the WW system is based on points. Every food has a point value. The healthier food, the lower the point value. Each member has a certain number of points that they are allowed to eat in a day and staying within that point range helps you lose or maintain your weight. The little explanation is crucial to the next part of my story.

The other day when Jake had his meltdown, I didn't have time to eat breakfast in the morning. So after dropping Jake off at preschool I went through McDonald's drive-thru and got myself a Sausage Egg McMuffin w/ cheese sandwich and some of their new Cinnamon Roll bite things (whatever they're called). So I sat there and thought "there is probably enough points in one bite of this sandwich to bring me up to my daily total" and then proceeded to eat everything I had purchased. And it was then that I realized something very important about myself:

I don't have a weight problem; I have an eating problem. More specifically, I have a self-control problem. This point was driven home to me again today when I caught myself finishing my kids' lunches that they didn't eat. While polishing off the mac & cheese, I was also thinking about what my habit for the week would be. Being the intelligent woman that I am, I was able to connect the dots and come up with my new habit. Well, actually 2 that go hand and hand.

So my offical SHS goal for this week is:
I will start maintaining my food journal again and I will STOP eating off my kids' plates.

Here are my other habits/goals for 2007:
Increased personal reading time
Limit personal computer time

1 on 1 kids time

6 reviews:

Christine said...

You are one smart chick to figure that out! ;)

I do know from experience that once you have 3 or more, your daily food intake basically includes nothing but stuff from the kids' plates. Thankfully, I don't eat the cheerios that Elliot tosses on the floor, though. Maybe that will come with #4...

Zany Mama said...

I can't believe how easy it is to just "clean up the plate" after Zane is done eating. It's like I'm on auto pilot.

I'll even eat things I don't like. Except graham crackers. Never graham crackers.

Beth said...

This is FANTASTIC, Thea!
Good job!

But that sandwich sho' does sound good! :-)

Happy Easter!

Lara said...

I am getting to where I hate every bite of fast food. We eat it much too often!

I did WW seven years ago after my second baby was born. I found a book called Intuitive Eating a few years ago and it has saved my life. It really helped me see why I overeat.

Have a great week!

Peculiar Blogs said...

wow. What a revelation. You are so right. That's my issue too. Wow...... I am going to ponder that for awhile.

One of my goals I am re-working on this week is keeping my food journal, too.

Have a great week!

Sharon Brumfield said...

I hear you girl. It is not the food--it's me. One day I will win the battle. Congrats on reaching your goal.