Saturday, April 14, 2007

Smart Habit Saturdays...R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Alrighty then.

I didn't write one thing down in my food journal this week and I ate off my kids' plates all week. There you have it. I can make all the excuses I want in the world, but there's no reason for it. I just didn't do it. As always, I am wallowing in self pity, plain and simple. So here's the new game plan...

Respect is the new buzz word in our house. We are trying to teach Jake (and Emma to an extent) to respect himself (brushing teeth and washing hands), to respect his stuff (putting caps back on markers), and to respect us (good listening, no hitting, etc.). You know the routine.

So I had another duh moment (or aha moment if you are the optimistic type), much like the one I had last Saturday that lead me to reinforcing my WW habit of keeping a food journal and not eating off the kids' plates: I need to respect myself. I can talk to Jake until I'm blue in the face about respecting me, but if he sees me disrespecting myself, well then what did I think the result would be? A sudden sense of sympathy from a boy who still occasionally eats yogurt with his hands? Sure. Whatever.

So this week for SHS, I will make a new habit of respecting myself with a 3 pronged approach (look at me soundin' all businessy):

  1. To respect my body, I will journal my food and not eat off my kids' plates (I like to repeat "My body is not a trash can" when I feel tempted to eat their discards).
  2. To respect my own authoritah, I will keep a level head and not fly off the handle with Jake while disciplining him (in through the nose, out through the mouth).
  3. To respect my brain/soul, I will reinforce my reading habit.
Here are my other habits/goals for 2007:
Food Journal and Scrounging
Increased personal reading time
Limit personal computer time

1 on 1 kids time

7 reviews:

Christine said...

"I am not a trash can". I think I need to repeat that too! Good luck on your new habit!

Andrea said...

What great habits. Hope you have a good week.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I second Christine's comment - "I am not a trash can." So true. I need to be more healthy.

Good luck this week!

Montserrat said...

I need to add "I am not a chocolate vacuum" to my way of thinking. Great habit to work, respecting oneself.

Peculiar Blogs said...

Wow!! I love how you write and your insights. You make me think. :-) And I love how you are teaching your kids about respect too. I might have to slip that in somewhere. :-)

Lara said...

Ok, "Chocolate Vacuum" cracked me up! You do need to take care of yourself the best you can. Sometimes we think we're too busy for it don't we? I know I can't take care of my family when I don't take care of myself. For instance, I can't teach my kids to floss their teeth if I'm not flossing mine!

Have a great week!

Nise' said...

Sharon from Sit With Me Awhile said this post made her "think" and sent her readers over to check it out and to let you know she awarded you the Thinking Blogger Award! Great post! I am going to write the quote "I am not trash can" down and stick it to my fridge.